Saturday, February 14, 2015

Pink Pepper Spray and a Walk on the Beach

It was around 6:15pm, and the sunset was just beginning to color the sky with vivid shades of pink and orange. Salome, (fellow student missionary) and I were walking home from the tutoring center a mile down the road from our apartments. We were half way home when I caught sight of a strange looking man sitting below the raised boardwalk pathway we were walking on.

I began to walk with a little more purpose, and discreetly motioned Salome to the other side of the path. He had seen us but made no motion to move. He was wearing some old tattered shorts, and nothing else. His hair was a matted mess, and he had a wild look in his eyes. Although there were many others using the path, there were no bicyclists or runners currently in sight. We were at that moment alone with the strange man sitting beneath the path.

We kept walking. I sent up a quick prayer. The kind you pray when you are fairly sure nothing bad will happen but you want to cover your bases anyway. I felt relieved to know I was walking with someone else, and that before we began our walk home I had had the foresight to pull out my little can of pink pepper spray. I had been carrying it in my right hand, and my finger hovered over the red button that I had never pressed before.

Within forty seconds or so we had passed the strange man and the ordeal was over. We continued on, occasionally glancing back to see if he had gotten up. He remained sitting where he was.

Before coming here, I had heard a story about a previous student missionary who had been attacked by a local man, but managed to get away. Friends of mine had encouraged me not to come for knowledge of that story alone, but I felt determined to come. I am convicted that no matter where you go on this sin-ridden planet, it is possible that bad things will happen to you. If I had let fear hold me back, I never would have had all the many amazing experiences from living here.

The path along beach road is a lovely walk. It borders the beach and the combination of the view and the breeze that always sweeps along that path make it the best place in Saipan to enjoy outdoor recreation. From sunrise to sunset there are always lots of people out jogging, bike riding and walking. Every local says its a safe path to use, but the voice of vigilance my mother raised me with causes me to air on the side of caution. For this reason I was prepared that day Salome and I passed the strange man who was sprawled out on the sand. We were not alone, and we had brought  a deterrent with us that we could use should the need arise.

As a student missionary living abroad it is possible that one will be faced with difficult and even dangerous siutations. The important thing is to be prepared, and remember God is in control. As Christians we should rest assured that our God is capable of closing the mouth of lions, as well as keeping wild looking strangers glued to their seat on the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment