Thursday, February 19, 2015

A Missionary in Church

Two months ago I took on the role of youth Sabbath school leader at the Saipan Central SDA Church. I hadn't been looking for any more roles to take on, but God and the nominating committee for Saipan Central decided I should try adding one more. I admit I had dragged my feet in the beginning and didn't put much effort into the role. The teacher guides on Cornerstone Connections gave me an excuse to not put a whole lot of forethought into my hour with the youth. Add an inspirational video or two and the amount of planning required is cut down quite a bit. Unfortunately when it comes to the youth department here there is very little support from the congregation. Any investment in the youth ministry almost seems like an afterthought. So much for the future of the church, eh? After "winging it" for a couple of Sabbaths I left convicted that I needed to start putting extra effort where my involvement in Church was concerned.

The group of teens and primary age kids I am responsible for is on the larger side. The Sabbath school room we meet in is on the smaller side. On days when attendance is higher the "walk-in-closet" sized room (an extension on the church that was built some time ago) is crowded and cozy. The room is furnished with a small air conditioner (praise the Lord!) and some long wooden benches painted a pale coral pink. There is also a table that is painted the same color. Up until the Church work-bee the walls were bare. Now they are covered with an ever-growing paper prayer chain and some posters of the books of the bible, Lords prayer, beatitudes, etc.

My first time teaching youth Sabbath school was a little nerve racking. My age is a well kept secret because quite a few of them are almost as old as I am. Knowing that they are not much younger  made leading out in our bible studies difficult in the beginning, but as my adviser at Walla Walla always says, "fake it til you make it." Teaching an age group so close to my own has taught me how to fake confidence. I may not be an authority on the subjects we study, but I can still challenge the youth to think a little deeper on a topic, and study until they reach their own conclusions. It is so rewarding when I can get them discussing topics and contributing their own ideas rather than mumbling cliche responses. Its also rewarding because of the friendships I am building with each of them. They are an exceptional bunch, let me tell you. Active in the church, positive, sincere, and quite talented.

A couple weeks ago the pastors wife decided to initiate planning for a "purity weekend." The weekend is aimed towards encouraging the youth to view dating and romantic relationships from a biblical perspective and seek God's will in this area of their lives. I am excited to be one of the speakers for the weekend because I feel that these are important topics to cover with the youth. We are going to be discussing everything from dressing modestly to navigating the difficult areas of relationships. Although our first and last session will be with the whole group, the rest of the weekend girls and guys will be separated. The guys will be hosted in one home, the girls in another. During this time we are going to be fasting from technology, media, cellphones, the works. Yesterday the pastors wife, my co-worker in the office (Jean Goris) and I met up at the Christian bookstore to buy bookmarks and other trinkets for the youth. We are definitely getting excited about this weekend. I am praying that it goes well, that God will inspire the youth through this weekend, and that the words I say will be a blessing.

Focusing on ministry inside the church wasn't what I pictured when I began preparing to come here. I did not think my role at church would such a big part of my time here, but through my role in the church I have learned that the need is just as real as serving those who are outside the church. People still need spiritual encouragement and guidance. Being a part of a church community is about encouraging each other, and so in a sense we all should be acting as missionaries. Wherever we are, we are to serve.  



No comments:

Post a Comment