Saturday, November 15, 2014

Pananampalataya

I have a new name! On one Sabbath afternoon while practicing for special music with a group of the women from church, I asked what the translation of my name was in Tagalog. Pan-an-am-pal-a-ta-ya. I think I finally got the pronunciation right on the tenth try. It stuck, and now I hear it as much as I do Faith.

You know that scene in "The Inn of the Sixth Happiness" where missionary Gladys Aylward is given a new name by the people she lives and works with? I guess it was from watching this movie, but I always felt like part of being a missionary is being granted a new name by those you are serving. It gives you a sense that you are connecting with the people, their language and their culture in such a personal way.

It's now about week fourteen for my roommate and I. We've managed to adapt enough to the heat and humidity to where we don't need to use the air conditioner (much). Good thing too! Electricity here is ridiculously expensive due to the fact that there is only one plant on the island, and the electricity is generated by fossil fuels.

I haven't taken on any additional responsibilities at the school as of late and I am starting to settle into my weekly routine. Yearbook is well under way, the Friday letters are printed on Thursday, and the newsletters are distributed without a hitch. I think this is the first time I have been on good terms with a copy machine. I am still teaching the after school academy math classes for kindergarten through the fourth grade. Last week I was the substitute teacher for both grades three and four. I have had been in the teaching environment long enough to decide that I like my major in public relations just fine. It is a lot of fun though, and the more I get to teach, the better I get to know all the students at our school. I've almost got all 150 names down.

Carolyn and I have become baking pros. The rest of the teachers at the school always tease us and ask us "so what did you bake this weekend," but we don't mind because we know they like it when we bring samples. Pinterest is a never ending source of inspiration. This last week I made an old family recipe. The taste of oatmeal "mookies" was a really welcome taste of home. Thank you Mom for the cranberries!

As far as church involvement goes, I think Carolyn and I are booked for special music for the rest of the year! Ever since the first vespers when Carolyn and I played a duet on the mandolin and violin. . . It is a lot of fun to practice with Carolyn and it gives us something to do when we are at home on the weekends. I am also teaching the youth Sabbath school every third Sabbath.

Just this afternoon I was sitting in my room when Carolyn leaned around the corner and remarked how much she was loving this year. I quite agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment