Friday, October 24, 2014

Foooooooood!




     Some have asked me about the food here on Saipan. The food is delicious. Potlucks at Central Church are practically the best thing that happens all week. During the week when we aren't trying out some of the local restaurants, my roommate and I are perfecting our culinary talents. We are very fortunate here, because it is a huge blessing to have fresh local produce available at affordable prices on the islands. One of the best places I know of to buy good produce is the San Jose market. Right down the road from the school, their produce is cheap, and as a little bonus they put this cheery greeting on their labels! Keep in mind, English is the business owners second language. Carrots, green beans, cabbage, cucumbers, tofu, potatoes, garlic, honeydew melons and more. About two weeks ago I made the decision to become a vegetarian. If I took San Jose's for granted before, I certainly don't now! 
Left to right: Teachers Enmanuel Alberto & Carolyn Benner
      In addition to what we get in the stores, my roommate and I also get our produce at the school. Below are pictures of several kinds of fruits that are in season right now. Bananas, coconuts, starfruit, and soon, papayas! I have never tasted better fruit. I did not used to like coconut, but now I am considering buying a machete just so I can enjoy them more.
       One of the exciting developments happening at our school right now is the start of a huge garden. Mr. Alberto (pictured to the left) is the head of this gardening project and has been hard at work composting and tending the soil in preparation  for all the vegetables we plan to plant. Unfortunately there is no fence around our school, so wild dogs and the chickens that our neighbors own have been destroying the raised beds and the first few seeds we planted. Next job for the Public Relations Assistant - promote a fence building fundraiser!
Almost ready to pick - a whole bunch of bananas
Fresh cut coconut - delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment