Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Pilot

On an island that is twelve miles long and roughly six miles wide, one might at first think that there isn't a lot to do. At first. But take some time to scope out the place and get to know the locals, and suddenly you won't be thinking about the fact that you are only 500 km from the deepest spot in the ocean. You'll be too busy trying to discover how your church members make bananas taste like heaven in a deep fried wrap.

I have been living on Saipan for 2 1/2 months now and I can say with confidence that I have yet to experience any genuine "boredom." Is there even such a thing? Since the day (or should I say night) I arrived on Saipan and was embraced with 90% humidity and a gracious welcoming committee my perspective on life has changed. Culture. Wealth. Food. Clothing. Community. Time. I don't think I will ever look at any of these things the same... and I can't say as I'd want to.

I will have more time later to share what I know about "island time," rant about wasteful american habits and discuss the fine art of opening a coconut. Right now lets move ahead 2 1/2 months into the story.

Banzai Cliffs are one of the more frequented tourist attractions on Saipan. I had been to Banzai three times. Once during the day to see the cliffs themselves, and the memorials that were erected in honor of the Japanese soldiers and civilians who died there. Two other times I had driven there with fellow missionary friends to star gaze.

If you are looking for an average place to star gaze, visit Banzai when the moon is full. You can't see much but at least the moon looks pretty on the water. If you are looking for an absolutely downright knock-your-socks-off place to star gaze, visit Banzai cliff during a new moon. I have never seen so many stars in my life. The milky way was so vivid it competed with the photos taken by Hubble. I could not pick out a single constellation, there were too many to look at and taking it all in was both breath-taking and awe inspiring. Amazing what you can fit in on a weeknight.

Sorry! No pictures :) I was too busy enjoying the view.



Thanks for watching my video! I hope you enjoyed it... and Hafa Adai! Welcome to the CNMI.

No comments:

Post a Comment