Friday, March 6, 2015

candid pics & a little narrative

Friends and family have asked me how I've done it.
"Was it hard to leave home knowing you would be gone for a whole year?" 
"Were you scared to fly half way around the world to work on an island you knew nothing about?"
That was the best part, really. Other than what I could pull off the internet (which wasn't much) I knew so little about this place and I had no expectations. I didn't know what my time here would be like, so I prepared in the only way I knew how (prayer) and let the whole thing be a surprise. In some ways Saipan is just like home. Joeten Superstore is stocked up on Kirkland products, and the inside of the Hollywood theater is just like every Regal Cinema on the west coast. When my roommate and I remember to flip on the water heater breaker we have warm showers and on most nights the WiFi in our apartment is decent enough to use Skype. But the cookware cardboard box that has been my laundry hamper for the last seven months reminds me that although there are things that make this place feel a lot like home, living on this island definitely has some differences.  
    

It was during Emily Wilkens chapel talk during my junior year of high school that I first aspired to be a long term missionary and embrace the differences that come with living in a new environment & culture. Emily shared her book "African Rice Heart" and some of her experiences with us and then she gave us each a copy of her book. After reading her book I knew if I ever had the opportunity to do something like it, I would jump in a heart beat.
Two years passed.
By the time I got to Walla Walla University I had somewhat forgotten my mission ambitions. What I did not realize until later was that I was attending the same college Emily went through to be a student missionary. A Missions Highlight Vespers that was held a couple weeks in to my Freshman year reignited my desire to serve, and I started filling out the application for student missions that very next week. God has His own timing though, and it was a year and a half before He opened the door for me to come to Saipan. His timing is perfect, and I know that with my whole heart.


Its a little like being a counselor at summer camp, though rather than spending one week with them you are around them for a whole school year. Working in the office of an elementary school, you see the students grow and mature. Kindergarten students whose heads barely reached the counter are now tall enough to peek over it without needing to tip toe. Three-year-old's who were once inconsolable at the thought of parting with their parents for a few hours now boldly march ahead to their classrooms. Boys and girls who labored to count to 100 by themselves can now add six digit numbers...and looking back it leaves you wondering how time managed to crawl and fly at the same time.


Last night I was standing outside our apartments and staring up at the sky. I felt the wind pick up and as I stood there enveloped in this warm blast of air I caught a scent of the trees around me and something about it reminded me of home. I got this overwhelming feeling of homesickness for a minute. "Its only three months away" I told myself. 10 months may seem like eternity when you first start out, but it passes so quickly. 10 months ends up being barely enough time to do everything you want to do.

These are some candid shots I took the other day for our yearbook. One of the many perks of my job is getting to run around and take fun photos of the students and teachers. I am really going to miss these faces when I leave. Quirks and all, I am going to miss this island. I am going to miss coconuts!!!


A shout-out to WWU! What an amazing college, they are such an incredible support system for their student missionaries. A couple months ago the missions department sent these pedometers for our P.E. classes. They will definitely be put to good use. A big thank you to everyone who sent notes in the last package from the missions office. If only you all knew how much getting those notes mean.
Its nearing spring quarter and the applications for student missions are open. I am sure there are awesome posters up reminding everyone. To all of you who are considering being an SM, I have this bit of encouragement for you. 

Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for for," declares the LORD.
"Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future."

Go. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment