Saturday, January 24, 2015

On a Spiritual Note

 While going through my neglected inbox the other day I came across an email from Walla Walla University's student missions department. The email was a survey about my experience so far, and a way to give feedback regarding how I thought the SM department had helped me through the whole application process. (They get 10 out of 10 from me.) One of the questions was in regards to my spiritual life. What have you learned about God this year? I thought for a while and finally typed in a very brief response to sum things up. "He's got the whole world in His hands."

Up until this year I had only visited some of the western states and had never stepped a foot out of the U.S. mainland. I had planned to visit Canada and maybe venture down to South America one day but I never imagined crossing an ocean… or living on a small island in the middle of one. Then the Spirit began to speak my freshman year of college and I made the decision to commit one year of my life to doing missionary work abroad. I don’t recall ever being as excited as I was the day I walked into the missions department and sat down to speak with Jeanne Vories (one of the student mission coordinators). I had given it a lot of thought, but I still wasn’t sure where I wanted to go. Doors seemed to keep closing in South America so I turned to the islands to see where I could serve. God had impressed me to go, and I knew He would impress me again as to where. Jeanne asked me questions and challenged me to think about all the reasons I wanted to go and which factors were the most important. At the end of our discussion I had decided to do some research on Palau, when out of the corner of my eye I saw a colorful brochure sitting on Jeanne’s desk. The flame trees were the first thing that caught my attention. I had never heard of Saipan before, and other than the island of Guam, I wasn’t sure what made up the Northern Marianas. The brochure was brief but told me all I needed to know. Saipan was where God wanted me to go. What sealed the deal was learning that the position was for a Public Relations assistant. (Oh heyyy, that's my major!)

Somewhere around five months later there I was, sitting "criss cross applesauce" on a big green rug with seventeen 3-year-olds singing all about how "brown and yellow, black and white, we are precious in His sight," and how "He's got the whole world in His hands." While we sang I looked around the room and counted five different nationalities. After getting plenty of photos for the yearbook (in retrospect, I probably didn’t need 170 photos) I quietly exited the classroom and headed back to my desk the office to edit photos and contemplate just how amazing God is to have led me to this job and this place.

Saipan is the most culturally diverse place I have ever lived in. The island “where America’s day begins” is home to Chamorro’s, Carolinians, Filipinos, Koreans, Japanese, Chinese and Russians. It is a melting pot of people, and it’s always changing. Changing them and changing those who visit this place. From eating with chopsticks to using local greetings, this place has saturated my world with the color of other cultures. I had only ever briefly studied about the people I have met. Most of my life I have spent learning about my own American history. Now here I am, in a mini orient so to speak, and I am in awe with the many kinds of people groups God created. I am humbled by their kindness, blessed by their friendship, and inspired by their customs…
~
Just the other day I was tutoring at Dream Academy. My ride home was delayed an hour and a half, but I didn’t mind because I spent that rainy evening sitting with Grace, the wife of the Korean pastor who runs the tutoring center. Grace saw me there standing outside at a loss and invited me into her office to share a snack of bread and cola and talk about mission trips. Between her translator app and my skills at charades we had many laughs. I will never forget her kindness.
~
Becky, the music and art teacher at the school has become one of my good friends. Whenever I have free time on my hands, I head to classroom 11 to spend time planning special music, designing posters and teaching her how to use her new pinterest account. Whenever I am sad, frustrated, lonely or bored, a trip to visit Becky always makes the day better.
~
Several weeks ago my roommate and I were helping to lead out the Adventist Youth program. At the end of the afternoon’s activities we gathered in a circle to pray and head back to our cars to drive everyone home. Just as we were about to all say goodbye, Kuya Frank, one of the elders in the church, spoke up and informed the group that he and his family had prepared food for everyone at their house. Delighted, we loaded up our cars to the max and carpooled to his family’s house to enjoy a feast of pancit and spring rolls, fresh fruit and sticky rice. Kuya Franks dining room is furnished so as to allow as many as possible to share a meal with them. At Kuya Franks table there is always enough to eat and time to enjoy everyone's company.
~
It was quite the journey traveling here, and has been quite the adventure living here. It hasn't been easy. There are days where I stare at pictures of my family on the wall of my bedroom and cling to my pillow wishing it were the arms of my family. I dream about the day I will meet them at the airport. These are tough moments, but they don't last long. With God all things are possible. He has supplied the strength, energy, and joy I need to make this year one of the greatest in my life. In addition to that closer personal walk, I have learned one thing about God that has inspired me. No matter where I travel on this earth, I can feel God’s love through the people around me. In every corner He is demonstrating His love through the kindness, the friendship and the customs of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment