Thursday, December 4, 2014

Coconut Confessions

















Have I told you just how much I love coconuts? I absolutely love fresh coconuts. Coconuts are only good for taking pictures with because they are also good for eating!! Today at the school we had to cut down a coconut tree that was leaning far over in the road. That meant coconuts! Coconuts for days! I must learn how cut into these on my own. As I have said, it is a fine art to open it just right. Since I have not yet learned how to handle a machete, I won't be giving any pointers.
Bringing the tree down was a simple process and afterwards we worked at moving the branches and getting all the coconuts into our wheelbarrow. This was the first of two wheelbarrows we filled up. Young coconuts or old, they are both good. The younger coconuts have sweeter coconut water, and the flesh is the consistency of jello. Its really fun to scoop it out with the spoons we make out of the husk. The older coconuts are great for baking. When you open the older ones up you can see the coconut oil floating at the top. That oil is super healthy, and great to use when baking! Its amazing how blessed we are by what is growing around us.

1 comment:

  1. Is that a coconut flower in your hair? You are so fortunate to live in a place where your favorite fruit grows wild.

    ReplyDelete